Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Salt dough/play dough

Tomorrow is playgroup, and I was asked to bring a project for the younger kids to do while the older kids did something different. Immediately, salt dough came to mind. Salt dough is cheap, it's easy, it's non toxic, and it doesn't limit their imagination! So here is my recipe for making salt dough!

1 cup salt
1 cup water
2 cups all purpose flour
Food coloring (optional)

Place salt, water, and flour in a bowl and stir until well incorporated. Should be a thick dough like consistency, but who hasn't played with play dough at some point in their life and knows what it looks and feels like, am I right?!
 I separated the dough into several small balls and places in ziploc bags, then added food coloring to bags. I was really trying to keep my hands as clean as possible, and quickly found out that the kneading color into the dough inside the bags won't work. So, with your hands, work in all the coloring to your hearts desire!
 I then added it back into the ziplocs for storage. Hope the kids have fun with it tomorrow, or I might if they don't!





No comments:

Post a Comment